SETTLING IN A NEW TEAM MEMBERIntegrating a new team member into an existing team can in itself be a huge challenge for a manager. Most of the hard work would’ve been done during the initial induction phases.
It is essential that the new member is aware of the following the day he enters your team:
- His role and duties in the team
- The goals and expectations of the team
- The reporting structure
- The new employees supporting structure should he need assistance
- The standards that he and the team will be measured on
As the new employee’s manager, it is your task to ensure that the newcomer is kept busy during his first few days.
- Assign positive tasks
- Ensure that tasks involve people he will be dealing with long term
- Monitor and give feedback when necessary
- Don’t shy away from your expectations of the new employee
HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU GIVE A NEW EMPLOYEE?
Some indicators to look for when assessing the integration will be:
- How does he get accepted during his breaks? In other words, is he making friends?
- Does he ask questions that you will expect from a new employee?
- Does he make mistakes uncommon to his work role?
- Does he look sure of himself?
- Does he look happy with his work?
- Can he perform the tasks you gave him without team resistance?
- How is his time management?